Five Tenets of Tae Kwon Do by Grand Master Kim
Tae Kwon Do transforms character and enables one to maintain composure and
security, which will in turn create patience and modesty. This will eventually
lead a person to overcome themselves with self-sacrifice, thus becoming an
outstanding leader in society. The five tenets of Taekwondo define the spirit and
philosophy of a good martial artist.
Kindness and treating others with respect. Live with a cooperative attitude and
a generous heart. Say “please” and “thank you” and be polite at all times, even
Honesty, trustworthiness, and incorruptibility. Do the right thing. Have integrity
beyond reproach. Live by a code of moral values. If you make a mistake,
correct it and do not repeat it.
Determination, steadfastness, and persisting in spite of difficulties. Be patient
with yourself and always keep trying. Never give up in pursuit of your goal.
Exercising restraint over one’s impulses, self-discipline. Be able to still your
mind and your body. Learn to control your emotions and attain self-mastery.
Act don’t react.
▶ Indomitable Spirit
Unconquerable courage, a ‘yes I can’ attitude. Nobody can ever break your
spirit, no matter what they say or do to you. You are your own master.
10 Commandments of Tae Kwon Do by GrandMaster Kim
1. Be loyal to your country.
2. Be a good son or daughter to your parents.
3. Be Faithful to your spouse
4. Be on good terms with your brothers and sisters.
5. Be loyal to your friends.
6. Be respectful to your elders.
7. Respect and trust your teachers.
8. Use good judgment before killing and living thing.
9. Never retreat in battle.
10. Always finish what you start.